Harpreet Singh v. State of Punjab
In the High Court of Punjab & Haryana
CRM-M 31429/2015 (O&M)
Before Justice Jaswant Singh
Decided on December 09, 2015
Relevancy of the case: Quashing of FIR for offences related to sending obscene messages on social media platforms.
Statutes and Provisions Involved
- The Information Technology Act, 2000 (Sections 67, 67A)
- The Indian Penal Code, 1860 (Section 294)
- The Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (Section 468, 482)
Relevant Facts of the Case
- The case relates to a situation where the petitioner was harassing the complainant by sending her obscene messages on Facebook.
- Consequently, both the parties arrived at a compromise, which, by the reports presented before the Judicial Magistrate, was free from any undue influence or any fraudulent methodologies.
Opinion of the Bench
- The court took into consideration the various judgements where it is held that the High Courts can quash FIRs and proceedings within their rights under Section 468 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 and this power is not limited by any statute.
- Petition allowed, FIR quashed.