Sujeet Kumar v. State of Bihar
In the High Court of Patna
Cri. Misc. 34759/2020
Before Justice Ahsanuddin Amannulah
Decided on February 10, 2021
Relevancy of the Case: Bail application in a case involving capturing a minor’s pictures and blackmailing her
Statutes and Provisions Involved
- The Indian Penal Code, 1860 (Section 354, 506)
- The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012 (Section 3, 4, 13, 14)
- The Information Technology Act, 2000 (Section 67A)
Relevant Facts of the Case
- The petitioner and co-accused captured and shared the obscene photographs of the informant’s niece.
- They were also threatening to upload those pictures on social media and viral them.
Prominent Arguments by the Advocates
- The petitioner’s counsel submitted that the petitioner and the victim were in a love affair. It was only a threat to make the video viral; however, the video never went viral. The petitioner and the victim were studying together and the victim’s family did not approve of the relationship. Hence, they have filed a false case.
Opinion of the Bench
- This is a fit case for granting bail to the petitioners.
- The court granted bail to the petitioners.