Ragith v. State of Kerala
In the High Court of Kerala
Crl. M.C. 7836/2017
Before Justice K. Abraham Mathew
Decided on October 03, 2018
Relevancy of the case: Quashing of proceedings in an offence involving illegal chitty through software.
Statutes and Provisions Involved
- The Information Technology Act, 2000 (Section 66)
- The Lotteries (Regulation) Act, 1998 (Section 4(a)(h), Section 7(3))
- The Kerala Gaming Act, 1960 (Section 15)
- The Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (Section 482)
Relevant Facts of the Case
- The petitioner allegedly conducted an illegal chitty with regards to the lottery conducted by the Kerala government by using a software named Lottery Management System.
Prominent Arguments by the Advocates
- The respondent’s counsel submitted that on seizing the mobile phone of the petitioner, the investigating officer found the software for conducting parallel lottery installed.
Opinion of the Bench
- This is a case involving questions of fact and the trial court has the jurisdiction to decide the same.
- Petition dismissed.
This case summary has been prepared by Nandini Gadgil, an undergraduate student at DES Shri Navalmal Firodia Law College, Pune, during her internship with The Cyber Blog India in January/February 2021.